Thursday, March 6, 2014

Eri tu che macchiavi – Un Ballo in Maschera



It isn’t her, no, not her
Fragile breast that I must strike.
Another, fine, another’s blood must wipe away
The offense! . . .
Your blood!
And I will draw the dagger
From your treacherous heart,
The avenger of my tears!

It was you who tainted that soul,
The delight of my soul;
Who confided in me and in one condemnable instant
Poisoned the universe for me!
Traitor! In such a manner you repay
The faith of your former friend!

O lost delights! O memories
Of an embrace that rendered happiness! . . .
When Amelia so beautiful, so pure
On my breast shone with love!
It is finished, nothing remains but hatred
And death in my widower’s heart!
O lost delights, O hopes of love!

Rolando Panerai sings Renato's aria from Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera.

Film, 1958.

No comments:

Post a Comment